Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Divided Nederland to select Mayor, 4 Trustees in Next Week's Election – Daily Camera

Location: Nederland, CO 80466, USA

I appointed my 7 year-old daughter to be my campaign manager. She has helped me with my speech, critiqued the competition, developed a strategy, selected campaign sign placement, knocked on doors, and even fielded tough questions from the press.

It's her quote on the very last sentence of this Daily Camera article that make's it all worthwhile.
"My dad is good at math, and a mayor needs to know a lot about math."

We've discussed the three branches of government and how they relate at the federal level, and locally. We toured the state capitol, and she met State Senator Rollie Heath. Then, she met the various department heads at Town Hall, and learned about what each department is responsible for.

Small town government can be understood by a young student in a way that can be directly related to their community and lives. Those concepts are easily expanded to the state, and federal levels.


[Here is a Video Valediction] with Sheryl Crow covering Cat Stevens' 1967 hit, The First Cut Is The Deepest (Rod Stewart also recorded it 10 years later at Caribou Ranch in Nederland). I have fond memories of my daughter dancing to this song in that unique time of life after one learns to walk, but before they learn to talk. [What is a Video Valediction?]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...